Rice's small size allows personal interaction between students and professors, while our eminent faculty foster the intellectual excitement of a major research university. At Rice, undergraduates at all levels participate in cutting-edge research with world-class faculty in the humanities, social sciences, engineering and natural sciences. Premier architecture and music professors enhance classroom experiences with their exceptional talent and artistry. A Rice education offers personal involvement and excellence in programs that prepare graduates for a changing world.
Rice University is consistently ranked one of America's best teaching and research universities for the following reasons:
- Size: 3,708 undergraduate and 2,374 graduate degree-seeking students
- Selectivity: In recent years, 13 applicants for each place in the freshman class but rising to at least 14 for the class entering in fall 2011.
- Resources: undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio of less than 6-to-1 and an endowment of $783,568 per Full-time Equivalent student
- Residential college system: builds communities that are both close-knit and diverse
- Collaborative culture: crosses disciplines, integrates teaching and research, and intermingles undergraduate and graduate work